The Chiefs of Ontario is inviting applications for the position of Director of Health. The incumbent is a highly experienced professional with a passion for relationship building and extensive management experience. The Director of Health will work with the Associate Director to develop, organize and oversee the progress and direction of the Health Department.
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario (Virtually During the Covid-19 shut down)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build and maintain partnerships with government ministries, First Nations leaders, communities and organizations.
- Understanding of federal and provincial laws and regulations that affect First Nations
- Oversee the policy analysis of Health legislation, standards and regulations that affect Ontario First Nations.
- Develop and submit funding proposals to implement program requirements and projects related to the goals and objectives of the Health Department and the Chiefs of Ontario.
- Adhere to Chiefs of Ontario financial management policy to ensure funding requirements and reporting requirements are met.
- Provide leadership, coaching and opportunities to the members of the Health team.
- Work alongside the Associate Director to Supervise and oversee staff ensuring adherence to all Chiefs of Ontario policies, and program goals.
- Work with the Ontario Chiefs Committee on Health to ensure strategic First Nation leadership participation.
- Coordinate, work with and implement strategies with Health Coordination Unit which represents the PTO’s and Independent First Nations.
- Recruit, train, and supervise health staff to improve efficiency and quality health programs.
- Prepare communiqués, memos, briefing notes, speaking notes and media releases.
- Attend relevant meetings and gatherings.
- Other duties as assigned such as the lead on the Chiefs of Ontario resolutions committee
- A bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree in relevant health field or 5 to 10 years’ experience in the First Nations or Indigenous health (Or a combination of relevant education and experience).
- Previous work in First Nations or Indigenous health, social or planning.
- Experience in proposal development and financial management.
- Proven management and leadership experience.
- Experience in; strategic planning, implementation, and policy analysis.
- Knowledge of First Nation traditions cultures and values; understanding the history and relationship between First Nations and the Crown.
- Experience with Federal and Provincial governments such as First Nations Inuit Health Branch, and Ministry of Health and Public Health Ontario
- Experience in negotiations and proposal development.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal.
- Capacity to work effectively and independently.
- Strong ability to analyze problems, recommend comprehensive solutions and mobilize resources for effective implementation.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; familiar with critical path planning and logistical requirements.
- Must have political acuity
- Must be trustworthy, reliable and maintain confidentiality.
DURATION: April 1st, 2021 to March 31st, 2022 (Possible renewal based on available funding)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
Send letter of application, resume and include two references marked confidential to: