The Chiefs of Ontario Justice Sector, in partnership with the Justice Portfolio Holders, Grand Chief Fiddler and Deputy Grand Chief Loft, is seeking interested Chiefs and technicians to join a newly formed Chiefs Committee on Justice.
The Chiefs Committee will oversee the development of strategies, implement action plans, follow through on justice-related Resolutions, and provide political recommendations for direction to Leadership on relevant issues.
The Justice Sector is in a period of rebuilding since hiring a new Justice Director in October 2020. A Justice Committee is needed to provide guidance and input to the new Justice Sector. Key areas requiring direction and input of a Committee would include the following:
- Policing, community safety and corrections issues
- Revitalization of traditional justice
- Jurisdictional issues and treaty rights
- Consultation and accommodation
- Dialogues with federal and provincial governments on self-determination and sovereignty
The Committee will be composed of one Chief and one technical representative from each of the Leadership Council Members:
- Association of Iroquois & Allied Indians
- Nishnawbe-Aski Nation
- Anishinabek Nation
- Grand Council Treaty #3
- Mushkegowuk Tribal Council
- Six Nation of the Grand River Territory
- Mohawk Council of Akwesasne
- Independent First Nations
The Committee will also aim for gender balance among its representatives.
Expression of Interest
Interested technicians and Leadership may express their interest in writing to Sarah-Grace Ross, Director of Justice, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Justice Sector will work with the Portfolio Holders to review the expressions of interest and ensure a balance between PTOs, Independent First Nations and unaffiliated First Nations.
Deadline: Please submit your expressions of interest by March 1, 2021.
Download full PDF here: Justice Chiefs Committee – Call for Interest